Thursday, March 18, 2010

the price I pay to take a shower!

For those of you who don't have kids yet, you probably don't appreciate a shower like those of us with children. You see, with children, it all changes. A bath is out of the question. If I can squeeze in a 10 minute shower all to myself (hardly enough time to wash my thick head of hair) I am ecstatic! This happens once, maybe twice, a week. The other five or six days of the week, I either have both girls in the bathroom, playing with my make-up, jewelery or other toys I've brought in for them or I have Jovie in the shower with me and Pear running back and forth from room to room asking me questions and what not. Then there are the times when I'm drenched, just put shampoo in my hair and Pear has to go to the bathroom (I don't let her go on her own yet as she isn't big enough to do a thorough hand wash and we're a little on the germ freak side) so, I tell her to hop on the potty and I rush to finish in the shower before she needs down. Then there's the time when I try to squeeze in that 10 minute shower to myself by putting on a movie for the girls. Yeah, right! Jovie isn't interested in the movie. She has mastered how to turn it off and on though and Pear doesn't know how she does it! It makes me laugh most of the time as I hear Pear's pattering feet coming down the hallway, "Mom, Jovie turned the movie off AGAIN!" Then again, I rush to finish before one of the girls hit the other out of frustration. And then there is the rare occurrence that the girls are quietly playing together in their room and I think, "brilliant! I can shower now!" You'd think I'd learn. Almost every time I come out of the shower greeted with a disaster made by Jovie. There's the plant that she likes to rid of dirt- all over the carpet! There's the stash of chocolate that no matter where I put, she seems to find. There are instances of toilet paper strung throughout the house. There is the book shelf so nicely emptied all over the floor. The FULL box of cereal emptied on the carpet floor can't be forgotten. The cupboard of movies & DVDs has not only been emptied but every movie has been taken out of it's case. Ah, Jovie! I do love you.

So, if you don't have children, savor your time in the shower. It won't always be like that.

6 comments:

Larissa Wardrip said...

100% agreed! I've never cherished a shower more in my life! Today was the first day I took a shower when I didn't have someone to watch Jack. I put him in the bathroom with me and told him to play with toys. He only whined a little toward the end. It's a good thing he thinks the bathroom is so cool....FOR NOW! ;)

jacquelyn said...

so true! my husband is even home working and I still don't get showers regularly! and when he has more than five minutes to spare, i sure do live it up in the shower.... shaving everything, scrubbing two or three times.... awwwee it feels so wonderful to be clean and relaxed!
p.s. i would never know you dont shower regularly, you always look so radiant! (:

Kamille said...

I love this post and love your writing. It's always a joy to read your thoughts, stories and life. Enjoy those rare moments:)
And that little Jovie is quite the character.

Emily P. said...

I hear ya. These days I try and take my shower when Jackson goes down for his nap in the morning. And on the days when he doesn't, I put him in his high chair outside of the bathroom and listen to him throwing goldfish crackers at the shower door while he sings. I still remember the first few months of being a mom and getting that rude awakening of super fast showers with the lovely background music of my infant sons wailing. Life is sooo different with kids!

Rebecca said...

I read this a few days ago but yesterday I started laughing about Jovie turning the dvd player on and off and Pear not knowing how to fix it. Your girls are so funny. : )

Unknown said...

I laughed all the way through this!!! I totally know! I have also had toilet paper unrolled, and marker on the wall, and crackers smashed into the carpet, an entire box of them. Ah motherhood!