Saturday, August 21, 2010

a long weekend

Life is good. Stephen is such a wonderful husband and I love him soooo much! I have three healthy, happy, beautiful children who make life fun (and crazy). And I have my God who loves me and blesses and forgives me. Now that we have those constants out in the open, let me just say that this is going to be a long weekend. Stephen went hiking. He will be gone for 3 whole days. I know, I'm a big baby. Military wives have to go months and I am complaining about 3 days! This "man-hike" is well deserved on Stephen's part. He has been working his tail off remodeling our house, being a dad and husband and all of this on top of his day job which he is doing very well at. As much as it is deserved for him, it is still going to be a long weekend for me. It's not that I can't handle the kids by myself. I can. It's just that 3 full 24 hour shifts with a 3 1/2 year old, 22 month old and 3 month old, really wears one out. You see, I have to answer ALL of the questions. I have to change ALL of the diapers. I have to cook ALL of the meals, do ALL of the dishes, wash ALL of the faces- you get the point. And all of this with very little adult communication or interaction. I can't really go anywhere with all three kids. Well, I can but it's really not worth it. By the time I get everyone dressed, hair brushed, fed, etc. it's probably nap time or maybe one has to go potty and then while that one was going potty the other pooped their pants and then by the time I get the diaper changed the other spit up all over his clothes and therefore we start the cycle all over again. If we are lucky to even make it out of the house, by the time we reach the destination, one may have fallen asleep in the car, the other cries because now we can't get out at the said destination thus waking the other child up and then we have 2, 3 or maybe even 4 (including me) crying babies in the car! Or there's the instance like I had this morning when I actually got all of the kids ready, buckled in their seats and then found out that not only is the car on empty but the tire pressure is low as well. So on top of all of the things mentioned above, tack on an extra 30 minutes to take care of the car. Yeah. I think I'll just stay home tomorrow.

Day 1 complete. We are all alive and well. I am happy and thankful. I didn't cry. I am exhausted. I am looking forward to tomorrow. I did just eat 2 enormous chocolate chip cookies...because I deserved them.

2 comments:

Emily P. said...

I hear ya. I only have one kid and I'm exhausted at the end of the day. The one thing I love when Brandon goes out to sea for several months...going home to my Mama! I'm a big baby too ;)

jacquelyn said...

I remember being overwhelmed from the very same things when justin would leave me for days and I only had two tiny ones to take care of! it can be draining... I wouldn't call you a baby! (:
glad you made it through! what a sweet wife letting him leave for so long! (: