Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Camping






Last week, Stephen and I thought it would be fun to go camping. Eastern Washington, a refreshing lake, sitting around a campfire, waking up and making breakfast outside; yes, camping sounded terrific! The Corrigan family wanted to go as well so we decided on Lake Wenatchee as it was about the only campground that had some first-come first-serve sites. We borrowed Stephen's parents' camping trailer which made things even more appealing. Upon arrival, all was good. We set up camp, walked around, went down to the lake, played on the playground, ate some snacks, took potty breaks, etc. Now this about sums up the trip. Stephen and I hardly had a minute to sit down because Jovie of course is right at the age where she can get anywhere and she wants to eat EVERYTHING. Everything includes dirt, rocks and garbage. So, either Stephen or myself were constantly holding Jovie while the other prepared food or took Pear to the potty. I shouldn't say that we were constantly busy because Trevor (Pear's favorite person next to my sisters) was there to hold Pear, take her to the playground or sympathize with her when she got hurt. All in all, Pear had a blast, Stephen and I were worn out and we discovered that it's probably not worth trying to go camping with an 8 month old. We are however looking forward to camping next year as Jovie will be at a much better age!

4 comments:

Emily P. said...

I hear ya. We took Jackson camping and it was the same routine for me. He was trying to eat everything and cruising around the campsite. I totally feel for you guys. I LOVE camping, but this time around it was not worth the work in my opinion. Better luck next time huh!

sbackholm said...

I would like to note that while I attended the camping trip there are no pictures with me in them. This is because Paige never had a free moment to take a picture, and I wasted the free moment I did have taking a few pictures.

Kamille said...

sounds so true and I like how you wrote, "yes camping sounded terrific." It always sounds good but than we as parents kind of forget to factor in that reality part. We want to create experiences for our kids, but it wears us out. Cadence isn't crawling yet and I'm not looking forward to it, because I don't think she's going to wait as long as Veronica. If only I knew then what I know now--right?!

Rebekah said...

We just got back from three days at the beach and though we're totally pooped, we had a blast. You're right, there is no down time with these little ones. Ben is still at the lay around age. I can't imagine them both running all over the place! It was totally worth it though, to see Jude all dirty and grimy. We knew he was having a good time when he passed out in the car, twice! (He never sleeps in the car. It's been almost a year since he stopped sleeping on the road... *sigh*) I think we'll do it again, but maybe the beach is key? We could relax a little with all that wide open space for him to play in. And I was so surprised how well Jude slept in the tent! (Though mid-day napping was out of the question.) Props to you guys for taking the camping plunge. Not the most relaxing vacation, but so fun!